Friday, June 18, 2010

The beauty of being 3



This is the NP (Native Speaker Program) class that I have been substituting for for the past month. These children make me laugh every day. Their lives are so new. It is quite amazing to think about what they think and perceive every day. When they walk in the room they say: Kru Amber (with a rising tone on the "r") and proceed to talk to me in Thai even though I understand nothing. I don't know. This age is a reminder to keep things simple, I suppose. I mean, why not try and see the world in such a simple way.

In this picture they are all dressed in traditional Thai attire, as I mentioned before, it is a school tradition on Fridays. The teacher on the right is dressed in the very traditional long skirt. My skirt (picture to come) actually has wee little bells on it, so you always know when I am coming.



This is my classroom as well. A little land of numbers, colors, letters, and animals. Again, it has been an experience in creativity and simplicity. I am definitely not the artsy craftsy time which is essential for this age.

The NP class is also known as the NP Pandas. I guess there is a new baby panda, recently born, here in Thailand so on a national level there is a love for the panda bear.

Another interesting Thaism is that when the children leave at the end of class and pass me they bow as they pass. It is to show a sign of respect. Beautiful children, being three, simply.

2 comments:

  1. Amber, so happy to see an account of you in Thailand. Was thinking the other day of how you are, then La Betty forwarded your email to me. Stay well, looking forward to future updates.

    Suerte,

    Martín

    ReplyDelete