Monday, June 21, 2010

Get your bahts worth






The Thai currency is called the Baht. Every note has a picture of the king on it. In fact, you are not supposed to put your bag or backpack (yeah, I still have my backpack) on the ground because your money is usually is probably in the bag and that means that you are putting the king on the ground which is an insult to the king and his monarchy.

Anyways, 32 baht is equal to $1.
So here is what you can get for some Baht

Yes, I am telling the truth on these prices:

soda water= 7 baht

A liter of beer= 95 baht

Iced coffee (made with carnation milk and other amazing things that aren't good for you) =20 baht

5 apples= 50 baht (that is expensive but most of you know how much I love apples, so I splurge)

A meal in the streets = about 30 baht

Sushi= about three rolls and some miso soup (200 baht)

A Thai massage = 100 baht (Yes, that is right, $3)

I bought a used phone from a co-worker for 400 baht and then you buy credit with a SIM card, it is about 300 baht a month

You can rent a motor bike for the day for about 250 baht

You can buy a used motor bike for about 10,000 baht

Therefore, if any of you decide you want to come and visit you will get your baht's worth. Unfortunately, for me, I now earn baht and must stop converting the baht. Though I still look and use it as play money.

No comments:

Post a Comment