Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Chiang Mai, Thailand

I came to Thailand because I was ready to experience Asia. Asia was always an unknown place to me, an eastern land that is intriguing, romantic, and intimidating. There was also always a spiritual draw for me as well, which resonated even stronger after Fede's death. When he died I talked to my professor and told her of my desire to come to Asia to experience its culture but to also finally find this spiritual "thing" that I have been looking for, or avoiding most of my life. However, due to experiences, circumstances and other "ances" I knew it was time to face this "thing". She told me that it made sense after I physically lost my husband to spiritually perhaps, seek him, or some sort of connection to him or to my new self. Perhaps, I think that is to be found in India, or here, but anyways...

My curiosity about Asia has been growing for quite some time. My professor suggested that I go to Thailand to begin my Asian experience. She told that the people in Thailand are friendly and kind, which is very true. So, I researched different areas in Thailand, looking for the mountains and for the possibility to climb: Chiang Mai

Chiang Mai is in the northern part of Thailand. If you go to Google earth you can see where I am. They call Chiang Mai the mountainous region of Thailand but the highest mountain here, Doi Pui, is only approx 5000 feet! ("doi" means mountain in Thai) Ha, what a place I chose. It is still quite beautiful, though. It is very green, it's a nice color to see every day.

There are two sacred peaks here that I hope to "summit": Doi Pui and Doi Suthep, which are both located in Doi Suthep-Pui National Park.
The main form of transportation in Thailand is the moped and they are everywhere. " Farangs" (foreigners) that visit even rent them because it is so easy to get around and the breeze that being on one gives you is wonderful.

I, however have chosen to use a bike. The woman that I am house-sitting for lent me her bicycle. I hope to eventually buy one. No, I don't get the breeze from the moped but I really enjoy wandering around the city on my bike, especially
at night. It is a great way to explore the city and just look at things. Chiang Mai is quite touristy. There are many ex-pats that live here and then just others that come here for the food, or the meditation, or the fine textiles. I, of course, came here to see and feel something new and of course, to climb.

There are three seasons in Thailand: the hot season, the rainy season and the cold season. We have just entered the rainy season. It rains almost every day but only for about an hour. I love it when it rains when I am at school. It cools everything down and you get a burst of energy because, often, the heat affects everything. When it is very dramatic. However, I have yet to see and experience (many have told me) the true rainy season.
We all complain about the heat but it does add to the simplicity of life. I never have to take a jacket or socks anywhere. I just jump on my bike and go, simply. For a girl that is seeking simplicity, this is one nice thing about being here.

A really wonderful thing about Chiang Mai are all
of the street vendors. It is not common to go and buy everything at a grocery store (I am starting to think that Thailand is an Asian version of Argentina: The people are friendly, the food is amazing and fresh, and people live simply. Every evening after climbing I pass through the market and buy fresh vegetables or fruit for the next couple of days and, sometimes, buy a kabob of some random meat and continue on my bike to "home".



I

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for this info, it's nice to learn a bit about your new home!

    ReplyDelete