Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Waikru day



Today is Waikru day in Thailand. "Wai" basically means "respect" in Thai. It is a gesture that you do upon entering a store, a school, a restaurant. The gesture is made by putting your palms together, as if you were going to pray, and then you bow your head slightly to the individual. "kru" means teacher, so basically today is Teacher Appreciation Day, Thai style. There is a formal ceremony at the school in which all the children and teachers gather together and the children sing songs and then give teachers flowers to say thanks. Most of the children make the flower arrangements at home the night before with their families. Each flower in the arrangement stands for something. The red flowers symbolize energy. The white ones humility and then the other flower added is for patience. They are qualities that every student, teacher and human being should have, I suppose. It was a nice lesson this morning as I struggle with meaning and purpose and feeling uncomfortable and awkward, yet still sad in this new space. I am in a very humble culture where it is common to smile at everyone. I don't feel afraid or threatened here, at all. Especially when I have three year olds that call me "kru Amber" in the most endearing manner. the beauty of youth; their energy, humility and patience (though they do need change often) is going to help me keep moving mountains.

Waikru day and every Friday all teachers must dress in traditional Thai attire which consists of a long skirt. Textiles are very important in Thailand, especially in this particular region of Chiang Mai.

As I said before, I teach three and five year olds. I see the three year olds (also referred to as NP 1) twice a day. These are the children that get more English than the other students. These children are the high point of my day. For 30 minutes I must be silly and laugh and shine and they are loving and truly in the moments. They teach me this lesson every day. They are also really smart, I am impressed. The speak much more English than I do Thai.

2 comments:

  1. C'mon, why don't you post a pic of your cute Thai outfit? :) Did you pick it up at a Dillard's or Macy's or something?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want to see what you wear on Fridays! Please . . . . ?

    ReplyDelete