Sunday, June 6, 2010

My new home, I think




Well, today it is officially one week since I arrived in Thailand. Thus far it has been so many things: adventurous, difficult, lonely, overwhelming, and amazing. I remember arriving last Sunday at the airport and everyone there was very kind in trying to help me recover my IPODs, which, unfortunately, are gone forever. Then, I walked outside and felt the Thai heat for the first time. The heat and a constant sweat have been with me ever since but, luckily, there is air conditioning in my dorm room, in the school rooms and in all of the 7-11s that decorate this city.

To the right are some pictures of my room, equipped with a bathroom, shower, closet, desk, television, with a few English channels, a fridge, microwave and, of course, and definitely most important, air conditioning. The dorms are free and on campus. The school also gives a grocery stipend in which we choose items per week and month in which to eat for breakfast. Someone told me that dairy wasn't found here, but not true, everything is found here, even peanut butter and cereal. Funny.

So, the heat, definitely is the one of the most difficult aspects of this place. You constantly sweat, though, ironically, my skin looks great.

My favorite Thaism (so far):

Upon entering the dorm and every other public place (the school and its classrooms) one must remove their shoes. Which means that all day long I teach barefoot! I love that.

2 comments:

  1. Sawadeekaw! Oh, Thai heat and humidity – Just wait until the Water Festival(s) :) LUV that you're blogging!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good thing you got a pedicure before you left!

    ReplyDelete